dxf converter

• Andrew
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 2 months ago #5324 by Andrew
dxf converter was created by Andrew
Hi,
For a while now I've been designing and drawing parts in QCAD and saving them as dxf files. I'd also like to be able to they test them using salome-meca, but have had to resort to converting them to STP files in Autodesk Inventor, before I can import them to Salome.

Does anyone know a program to convert them more easily, as Autodesk won't be available to me for much longer (won't be a student forever!)?

I'm aware that Salome is based on OpenCascade, which does have a DXF converter (www.opencascade.org/support/products/dataex/dxf/), but this is not open source. However, provided that its not extortionate I will consider it.

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #5325 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:dxf converter
I don't know of such a tool, but I actually needed it not more than a few days ago, so please post back if you find something suitable :)

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

More
13 years 1 month ago #5338 by CAVT
Replied by CAVT on topic Re:dxf converter
OpenCascade is OSS, not like many others softwares (that's why Fedora doesn't include it in their repos). But hey, you can get the solution with OCascade, use FreeCAD, which opens DXF and SVG and allows saving in BREP, STEP and IGES.
There's also a free program (I don't know if it's open, I think not) for Win** but which runs flawlessly under Wine, that can convert DXF to XYZ coordinates (I have used it for airfoil analysis). Check here:
www.guthcad.com/freestuff.htm
Of course, it's not a converter but having the coordinates will allow you to rebuild the geometry quickly in the mesher of choice, like Gmsh (you can even write your own Python or Octave code to do the rebuild automatically ;)).
Hope this helped.

César

More
13 years 1 month ago #5345 by T. Donley
Replied by T. Donley on topic Re:dxf converter
FreeCAD works for this, and also GiD. The problem I've experienced is QCAD tends to generate points in places that are not helpful for mesh generation, so the file will probably need some editing before you can mesh it.
Tim D.

• Andrew
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 1 month ago #5354 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re:dxf converter
The OpenCascade version came in at $A.LOT, so thats not really an option. It would be okay for a company where several people are using it but, for now I think I can do without.

Cheers for the suggestions, will have a go with FreeCAD, although it likes to invert curves and shapes at random, with dxf files imported from QCAD, Autodesk and SolidWorks. Not optimal and will require me to learn another CAD program just to fix errors.

I haven't heard of GiD before, looks interesting. Will just have to play around and see.

Cheers again :)

More
13 years 1 month ago #5367 by Claus
Replied by Claus on topic Re:dxf converter
A poster on the Aster forum noted, that a dxf2gmsh converter exists - it's a step in the right direction:

laurent.champaney.free.fr/perso/outils.html

/C

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds