MED vs Medit

• phsieh2005
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago #474 by phsieh2005
MED vs Medit was created by phsieh2005
Hi,

Can someone tell me whether MED format is the same as Medit format? If not, is it possible to convert between the two or any converter exists? Thanks!

phsieh2005

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago #476 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:MED vs Medit
Hi,

unfortunately MED and Medit format have just nothing in common... sorry. But what would you like to do? Transfer a MESH or results? From which software to MEDIT ? From MEDIT to which software?

If you can give me more details, I could give you some advices about possible file formats...

PS: For more details about file formats and inter operability we have started a discussion here :
www.caelinux.com/CMS/index.php?option=co...;id=409&catid=16

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

• phsieh2005
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago #480 by phsieh2005
Replied by phsieh2005 on topic Re:MED vs Medit
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I am using elmer to do a thermal analysis. The CAD geometry is quite complex. I would like to use Salome to import the CAD file then mesh it. This will be in MED format.

According to the Elmer website, it can import Medit format. So, I am hoping to convert the MED mesh so that Elmer can read it. Elmer can also read Abaqus/Fidap/I-DEAS unv formats, so, I will be happy to convert MED to these three formats instead because I have zero experience in Medit format.

Best,

phsieh2005

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #5444 by Vincent Tariel
Replied by Vincent Tariel on topic Medit file format conversion
Dear all,

I have a 3D meshed file ( containing both triangular and Tetrahedral meshes) which I need to convert to any of "igs" "dxf" "ascii" or similar formats. Eventually I need to feed this into Abaqus software for analysis.

Any help/advise/suggestion on how this can be done will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Vincent

More
13 years 1 week ago #5445 by CAVT
Replied by CAVT on topic Re:MED vs Medit
To all the people here, Gmsh can handle MED, Medit and Abaqus meshes, but only meshes, it will not import or export boundary conditions nor results. Gmsh can also handle IGES and STEP files natively and includes a DXF converter in its source tarball (it can be used independently from Gmsh).

More
13 years 1 week ago #5448 by Vincent Tariel
Replied by Vincent Tariel on topic Re:MED vs Medit
Hi CAVT,

How can I use Gmsh to convert the medit format to IGES?

Could you explain further please?

My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Could you please send me an email

so that I send over my data to you please?

Thanks a lot

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds