[Need fix] Boot loader (grub) related issue

• Mcgiwer
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #10028 by Mcgiwer
Even if the kernel is configured for a 64-bit system, the grub is only 32-bit, without the support for other platforms (only a i386-pc folder) and 64-bit systems.

Please correct it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 9 months ago #10036 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic [Need fix] Boot loader (grub) related issue
Hello,

this is strange as I only run 64bit machines nowadays and have not seen any issue of that sort.

What is the issue exactly? you cannot boot the installed system or other OS?

Cheers

• Mcgiwer
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #10042 by Mcgiwer
Replied by Mcgiwer on topic [Need fix] Boot loader (grub) related issue
when I attempt to run it from a USB (after burning out the downloaded ISO) the system is failing to start from it

1 year 9 months ago #10053 by Joël Cugnoni
Ok, this might be a problem with the ISO image format used that is not playing well with the bootloader on the USB drive.

How did you "burn" the ISO image on your USB drive?

Do you use the "lite" version of CAELinux or the full version?
The full version being very large (squashfs file >4gb) not all bootloaders are able to load the system.

What I have tested extensivelly is to install Ventoy bootloader to the USB drive and then copy the ISO image in the partition created by Ventoy to this effect (see : www.ventoy.net/en/doc_start.html ).

UNetBootin works also for the Lite version but I am not sure it works for the full version.

There are so many different ways of creating a bootable USB today, but I highly recommend Ventoy for its compatibility and versatility (easy to create a multi-os bootable USB).

• Mcgiwer
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 9 months ago #10054 by Mcgiwer
Replied by Mcgiwer on topic [Need fix] Boot loader (grub) related issue
Since I was burning it out on a Debian deriative Linux, I had used the "dd" command.

It's strange because other distro's were working nornally after it.

I tryed both, kite and full with the same effect.

After extracting the squashfs on a hard drive, CAE dind't wanted to start (it wasn't seen) and after reinstalling grub, it on start it had bailed out to the grub CLI (needed to type the vmlinuz and initrd manually and then it has bailed out to dash wirh initrd prompt

1 year 9 months ago #10056 by Joël Cugnoni
Ok this explains why it did not work. The ISO image of CAELinux is not as "versatile" as the original Ubuntu ISOs for example. It does not work properly if you just "dd" the ISO to USB.

To install CAElinux you need to boot from USB first and then run the installer. Decompressing the squashfs image will not work as it does not install the bootloader.

Try to use Ventoy boot loader to create a bootable USB drive first and then install the distro from the GUI installer (Ubiquity).

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds