YAFEMS, new small FEM solver using Salome MED form

• Javier Marcelo Mora
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #7835 by Javier Marcelo Mora
YAFEMS, new small FEM solver using Salome MED form was created by Javier Marcelo Mora
Hi.

My name is Javier Marcelo; I'm a spanish civil engineer and I'd like to present YAFEMS (Yet Another Finite Element Method Solver).

YAFEMS is a small Fortran program that reads a MED mesh file produced by Salome with certain groups created into the mesh,
and with the help of an input text file (.yaf), performs a plane stress or plane strain analysis and creates results in plain text format and in MED format.

This way a complete analysis can be carried inside Salome, where a mesh file can be created, exported and read by YAFEMS with the help of a simple .yaf input file and post-processed within Salome using ParaView.

Unlike a lot of small solvers out there, I've tried to document the program with a user manual and several examples so the end user can actually use the program.

The webpage is:

sourceforge.net/projects/yafems/

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all!!.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #7846 by Claus
Well done and thank you for documenting the code well :)

Happy holidays as well!
/C

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

• Javier Marcelo Mora
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #7848 by Javier Marcelo Mora
Replied by Javier Marcelo Mora on topic Re: YAFEMS, new small FEM solver using Salome MED form
Hi claws.
Thanks for testing the program.
I'm currently working in the 3D version. The code is finished and I'm going to begin with the testing phase and start killing bugs, so I hope v 0.2 will be out soon.
By the way, I love your tutorials :)
I'll publish the announcement when I finish v 0.2.
Cheers.

• Javier Marcelo Mora
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #7849 by Javier Marcelo Mora
Replied by Javier Marcelo Mora on topic Re: YAFEMS, new small FEM solver using Salome MED form
One question to claws (I couldn't find the private message function if there's one).
Can I include the piston geometry file of the Code Aster-Salome tutorial in the YAFEMS package?. My intention is comparing the results of my solver to the piston Code Aster tutorial results, describing it in the program manual and including the files in the examples of YAFEMS if you're ok with it of course.
The 3D version of the solver is finished. I'm writing a couple of tutorials.
Where can I find more 3D examples to use?. I modeled all 2D tutorials myself, but modeling a 3D complex geometry is a whole other task.
Thank you.

EDITED TO ADD:
I've just posted version 0.2. YAFEMS can now analyze a 3D model meshed using linear tetrahedrons.
Cheers.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Javier Marcelo Mora.

More
9 years 3 months ago #7850 by Claus
Hi Javimm. I honestly don't know the origin of the piston model and I highly doubt anyone would make a claim towards it, so include it by all means.

It seems analysing a piston is the very first thing everyone does, once they start out in FEM.
Kinda like writing the first 'Hello world', rendering the Standford bunny or learning Smoke on the Water on guitar :)

/C

Code_Aster release : STA11.4 on OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bits - EDF/Intel version

• Javier Marcelo Mora
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #7851 by Javier Marcelo Mora
Thank you, claws.
Version 0.2 with 3D analysis is out now in the Sourceforge page of the project.

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds