Unv/Med to Abaqus file translation

• jmb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 4 months ago #800 by jmb
Hello Admin,

I have used your excellent unv2abaqus.py to generate Abaqus INP files. Have you considered sending your code to the Salome developers so that a Med -> Abaqus option can be added to it. Perhaps the next release of Salome can include such an option. That would open up the possibilities to so many more users. In the open CAE field that would allow Calculix to be a solver. Although, getting the results back into Salome would be a limitation, until a results reading code is incorporated into Salome or if CalculiX were written to output Med result files.

Do you have a GUI based version of this Python command script? If not can work on one, but I am only begining to learn Python! Any other translators that you have worked on that we are not aware of?

Your contributions to the open CAE community are immensely appreciated!

JMB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #1003 by Joël Cugnoni
Replied by Joël Cugnoni on topic Re:Unv/Med to Abaqus file translation
Hello JMB,

for sure a SALOME or other GUI module would be a great addition!! For the moment, i have not been able to find time to develop a GUI for UNV2X tools but I would really appreciate one, for sure. So if you are willing to develop one, just go ahead. You may look at CreateJob.py in /opt/helpers to have a first idea on how to create a simple Tkinter interface in python.

Concerning other translators that I have written, they are all dedicated to some special purpose codes (FE codes for academic research) with special data file formats... so they are unfortunatelly not usefull for the open source community and the code is so bad that it would not even be a good example ;-) (but I have tried to learn from these mistakes now and tried to have a nice structure for UNV2X tools)

I am currently working on CAELinux beta 3b and especially on kernel, driver and system package updatesas well as a USB-harddisk / flash drive version. When I will find some time, I would like to write some other translators like UNV2GMSH (may be usefull for OpenFOAM, ELMER and OpenFLOWER), and maybe UNV2FOAM / UNV2ELMER (native formats) if I can find some good description of the file formats.

Thank you for your very encouraging comments

Joël Cugnoni
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Joël Cugnoni - a.k.a admin
www.caelinux.com

More
17 years 3 months ago #1007 by JMB
Replied by JMB on topic Re:Unv/Med to Abaqus file translation
Hello admin,

The GUI for the UNV2X translator is done. At the moment it handles only Impact and Abaqus translations, but extending it to do others is a snap. Of course the backend that does the actual translation to some other FEA flavor is a much more tedious job for C, or Python programming, beyond my capabilities for the moment. If you have done any work there, maybe I can develop it from there onwards.

I wrote UNV2X-GUI.wish as \"wish\" application instead, since I found a nice GUI developed in wish for Xmdump, which was closer to what I needed the UNV2X-GUI to do.

When I get the tetra mesh import problem of Impact 0.7.1_mca resolved for unv2impact.py, I can upload them both here.

An image of the GUI is attached...

Well I tried twice to attach the image. First time it complained about having non ASCII characters in the file name, had a \"-\" dash. The second time it complained it must be a tar, gz, doc, txt, etc; mine was a *.png! Now I am unable to attach anything. I suppose this is a \"2-strikes-and-you-are-out\" game :( ...

Regards,
JMB<br><br>Post edited by: JMB, at: 2006/12/27 20:05
Attachments:

More
17 years 3 months ago #1008 by JMB
Replied by JMB on topic Re:Unv/Med to Abaqus file translation
Hello admin,

The GUI for the UNV2X translator is done. At the moment it handles only Impact and Abaqus translations, but extending it to do others is a snap. Of course the backend that does the actual translation to some other FEA flavor is a much more tedious job for C, or Python programming, beyond my capabilities for the moment. If you have done any work there, maybe I can develop it from there onwards.

I wrote UNV2X-GUI.wish as \&quot;wish\&quot; application instead, since I found a nice GUI developed in wish for Xmdump, which was closer to what I needed the UNV2X-GUI to do.

When I get the tetra mesh import problem of Impact 0.7.1_mca resolved for unv2impact.py, I can upload them both here.

Regards,
JMB

More
17 years 2 months ago #1028 by Joël Cugnoni
Hi,

(excuse me for this late answer..)

Great job! I am definitely looking forward to add these tools in CAELinux as it will provide a simple basis for interoperability of Salome &amp; Calculix/Impact etc...

Best regards,

Jo&euml;l Cugnoni
www.caelinux.com

www.caelinux.com

More
17 years 2 months ago #1068 by Joël Cugnoni
Hello,

Just coming to fetch some news:
Did you manage to fixe this \&quot;tetra\&quot; import problem in Impact?

As I am currently finishing the next release of CAELinux, I would like to know if you have any \&quot;working\&quot; version of your Wish interface &amp; .py scripts that you would like to include in this new version?

As the Forum uploads do not seem to work, you can send me the files by email at admin [at] caelinux.com if you want.

Regards,

J. Cugnoni
www.caelinux.com

www.caelinux.com

Moderators: catux
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds