After one more year of development, we are proud to release our new stable version of CAELinux, called CAELinux 2010. This release is a complete rebuild of CAELinux for X86 64 bit architecture to use the latest Intel / AMD cpus at their maximum. CAELinux 2010 is now based on the latest Long Term Support release of Ubuntu, one of the most popular linux distribution, in order to offer the best possible user experience.
CAELinux 2010 is built on the basis of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS AMD64 distribution with the latest updates and should support the most recent hardwares / chipset for one of the best compatibility and ease of use in the Linux world. It comes with a kernel in version 2.6.32-24 with support for 64 bit memory addressing and multiple CPUs.
Additionnally, CAELinux 2010 contains the latest release of the GPL Salome_Meca 2010 package developed by EDF (64bit) integrated with two versions of the finite element solver Code-Aster STA10.1 (both 64bits) optimized either for OpenMP or MPI parallelism. Salome_Meca 2010 is now based on Salome v5.1.3 CAD/Pre/Post GUI and allows to run a complete FEA / CFD study directly from the SALOME graphical user interface.
CAELinux 2010 also continues to integrate great open source CFD software like Code-Saturne 2.0and OpenFOAM 1.7 (both 64bit/MPI) that can be interfaced with numerous pre processing tools like Salome, GMSH, Netgen, and the more CFD oriented meshers enGrid 1.2 and Discretizer/SnappyHexMesh. With these software, Open-Source FEA & CFD is continuing its progression towards ease of use and parallel computing power to get closer to commercial FEA & CFD codes!
Multiphysics simulation is also very efficiently carried out using Elmer FEM 5.5 and its easy to use ElmerGUI interface. Based on a segregated solver approach for each physics, multiple physical behaviours can easily be coupled with Elmer, for example like: diffusion & heat equation can easily be coupled with Navier-Stokes fluid flow simulation, thermo-mechanical coupling and even fluid-structure interaction.
- CAELinux is an installable LiveDVD Linux distribution based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit: a very user-friendly live Linux distribution, with excellent hardware detection and a very simple hard disk installer.
- Contains the following CAE softwares:
- Pre-post processors & CAD: Salome_Meca 2010, Salome 5.1.3, GMSH 2.4, Netgen , Tetgen, enGrid, Discretizer / Discretizer::Setup, Paraview, OpenDX, CGX, QCad, FreeCAD, SagCAD, ElmerGUI / ElmeFront / ElmerGrid
- Finite Element solvers: Salome_Meca 2010, Code_Aster STA10.1, Elmer v5.5 , Calculix 2.1, Impact 0.76, Dynela, Fenics
- Computationnal Fluid Dynamics: OpenFOAM v1.7, the latest release of Gerris flow solver and GFSView, Code-Saturne 2.0 with CFD analysis wizard and tutorial , Elmer Solver, air foil and airplane analysis tools (Xfoil, Javafoil, AVL, Datcom+)
- Multibody dynamics : MBDyn with its Blender interface and EasyAnim
- 3D bio-medical image processing: ITK-Snap, Image J, Voxel_Mesher
- Mathematics: GNU Octave +QtOctave, Scilab, wxMaxima, R & Rkward, Gnuplot, Latex, Labplot, g3data, Scipy.
- Is provided with interactive flash tutorials, videos as well as examples to start learning how to use the included open-source softwares for realistic simulation
- Ubuntu 10.04 already includes open-source 3D drivers for recent video cards, but it can also automatically install packages for 3D accelerated proprietary video drivers (ATI & NVidia cards) once installed on hard disk.
- This new release is only available as a LiveDVD ISO image to use directly or to install the CAELinux OS on your computer for optimum performance.However, on recent CPUs with hardware virtualization extensions, it runs very well in Virtual Machine software like VirtualBox or VMWare.